Monday, May 4, 2009

Airing of the Quilts

Saturday was the annual Airing of the Quilts in Huntsville, Texas. I went with three good friends on a typical Texas spring day - windy, sunny, and 85* - that would be summer in many parts of the country, but here, it's Semi-Spring. It comes right after Official Spring, which is one of the two days a year we can open our windows.
Anyway - Airing of the Quilts is put on by the Tall Pines Quilt Guild and it's a fabulous and fun outdoor show. All the quilts are hung from the 4 balconies of the courthouse, the storefronts surrounding the square, and in the streets. They use the old movie theatre for the mini quilt auction, the guild challenge quilts, and the featured quilter, who happened to be Carol Doak a very funny (and silly!) author, designer, and teacher.








Many of the stores had quilts displayed, some for sale, some not.


I just liked this window.

A cute little log cabin right on the square.






Thomas Ball's banner - the town I live in was named after him.

And look what I found!

More wooden spools for my collection!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures of the show in Huntsville. I wanted to go but had prior plans to attend the show in Kingwood with my sister.....and boy did we have sister fun! I am new to blogging & if you take a look at mine....it's pretty obvious I don't know what I doing. Till next time...Thanks again for sharing your adventure!