Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Two for Two at the TriCounty Quilt Guild Show!

Even though I've pulled back a bit on the quilting for customers thing last year with all the hubbub surrounding the sale of the retreat and log cabin, and moving to Georgetown/Austin, I found some time to work in a couple of customers' entries into the TriCounty Quilt Guild's biannual show in Cypress, TX. (Thank you to these ladies for being so patient with me while I got my new studio in order enough to start working on their quilts!)

Although I didn't make it to the show personally, I did find out that the two quilts I quilted both won first place in their categories.

Nancy Y. pieced this gorgeous log cabin quilt - I think the logs were 1/2" finished. I was still in Tomball when I saw her working on them at Quilters Crossing Quilt Shop one Friday night/Free Sew, and fell in lust with them. Tried to take a couple of them off her hands, but she wasn't havin' it.




Aside from Nancy's exquisite piecing, was her very innovative binding technique, which I'm sure is what put her quilt over the top, judging-wise. She pieced it in the same size as the logs, alternating light/dark strips, and lined them up with the edge blocks, so it looks like the block is part of the binding. Unbelievable workmanship!


Theda F's quilt was the other quilt that won a blue ribbon. Very different from Nancy's! Wild color combinations and stunning fabrics - it's a very happy, exuberant quilt. And such a joy to see every morning when I walked into my studio.





And d'ya know what the best part of quilting for customers is? I'll tell you: when they say, "Do whatever you want!" So I do...and they love it - and we win ribbons! Can't wait to add these two to my collection! 






1 comment:

Carla said...

Some nice quilting lady. ;o)
That binding on Nancy's quilt was pretty awesome.
Love the bright colors on Theda's quilt.
Enjoy yourself in Georgetown. I'm not really that far away from
you at the Rock'n K now.